Although it may sound obvious, but before your puppy arrives make sure to have the essentials. This includes the following:
1. Collars: A good sturdy collar that will not be too harsh (such as metal choke collars). Make sure to change it once the puppy grows out of it. In addition, do not buy one that is too loose or your puppy will just take it off on his or her own.
2. Walking leash: Essential for everyday walks.
3. Harness: Preferable compared to collars, because they are more gentle and will not tug specially at the neck.
4. Feeding bowls: One is needed for water and one for food. Make sure to get a stainless steel bowl with rubber on the bottom. This helps the bowls stay put while they eat. If they do not have bowls with rubber, grab one a pet food mat instead.
5. Brushes: Ask your local pet store which brush would work best for your puppy breed. Different lengths of hair/fur uses different types of brushes.
6. Nail trimming: It is important to trim your puppy's nails, because it will be comfortable when too long. Additionally, do not cut the nails too short or you will hurt him or her.
8: Soft toys: Great for puppies to play with since their mouths are still small.
9: Treats/chews: Puppy treats are ideal for them compared to human snacks. Make sure to pick them up to start teaching them tricks with or to give for fun!
10. Crate: Important for puppy house training. Please see My Puppy Training Tips 1: Crate Training.
11. Exercise pen: Allows them to have a limited play area that is safe and enjoyable.
12. Puppy mats: Allows for easy clean up.
13. Easy-clean dog bedding: Puppies are still learning where are proper areas to soil. Therefore, the easy-clean dog bedding allows owners to have a easier time cleaning the removable covers.
14. Name tag: If you loose your puppy, others will be able to identify and call you. This is one of the most important essentials to have before bringing your puppy home.
Hope this these are helpful puppy training tips to start trying. Good luck.